This blog has been designed to provide information about the activities held at the social studies bilingual sections in CPI Tino Grandío (Guntín,Spain). The English language and Social Studies teachers have elaborated most of the resources you can see but our "auxiliares de conversa" also have their own page and posts. Therefore everyone is invited to have a look .

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

The New Year is  the right time for looking back on what we have done and decide what to change in the future.

Have you ever made New Year's Resolutions? and have you been able to keep them? Which do you think are the most popular resolutions?



You can read these examples of resolutions for the new year (from www.teachingenglish.org.uk)

Celebrating the New Year
The start of the New Year on January 1st is a popular time for celebrating all across the UK. Celebrations can start early on New Year’s Eve, December 31st, as people meet up with friends and family members. Many people have a drink in a pub or go to a special party in someone’s home. Everyone hopes to start off the New Year with good intentions so they make some resolutions to help them have a successful year.
We asked young people around the UK about their plans are for New Year’s Eve and about their New year’s resolutions are:

My Plans
New Year, or Hogmanay, is more important than Xmas to some people in Scotland. I am invited to two Hogmanay parties and I intend going to both ! We usually sing Auld Lang Syne at midnight and my Uncle John is always our first footer at home. He’s the first person to enter our house after midnight. It is good luck if this person is a tall man with dark hair, just like my Uncle.
My resolutions
Eat fewer sweets, be nicer to my little brother and improve my computer skills
Mary 17 Glasgow

My plans
I am joining my parents in a New Year’s Day swim this year. It’s freezing cold in the water but it is a fun way to start the year. Quite a lot of people meet on Brighton beach for this first swim of the year. I hope it doesn’t snow. I won’t be out partying the night before because I don’t like all the noise and drinking ! My family usually have a quiet evening and watch the celebrations on TV.
My resolutions
Do some voluntary work in my area and improve my tennis. Maybe be nicer to my girlfriend!!
Ben 16 Brighton

My plans
I am going to the centre of Newcastle with my cousins and friends to see in the New Year. I love being in a crowd when the clocks strike midnight. Everyone kisses each other, sings and drinks champagne. This is the first New year’s Eve in the streets as my parents said I was too young last year. We will probably get back home at four or five in the morning.
My resolutions 
Learn how to play the guitar and talk less in class! Study hard to get good grades for university.
Sophie 18 Newcastle Upon Tyne

No comments:

Post a Comment