|picture from Wikipedia|
Why was he so relevant?
- He was King Juan Carlos closest collaborator during Transición (1976-1981).
- He engineered the process that led to the Referendum to pass the Constitución of 1978 and the first democratic elections.
- During his term most of the laws from the former Dictatorship were changed and made democratic.
- The Communist party became legal.
- He defended democracy during the coup d'état lead that took place on February 23, 1981, when guard Lieutenant Colonel Antonio Tejero and a group of the armed men stormed into Congress the day lawmakers were voting on the prime minister’s successor, Leopoldo Calvo Sotelo.
Read this news in English